What Should I Know About Car Insurance in Florida?

I had the opportunity recently to talk with a friend who was the victim of another person’s negligence. He had reached out to me to discuss his options with regard to his vehicle (which is probably going to be declared a total loss). After our conversation I was inspired to discuss insurance with you. So below is some information and tips regarding insurance in Florida.

The State of Florida requires drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) of at least $10,000.  If you’re in a car accident PIP will cover your medical expenses up to the policy limit (most people have $10,000 in coverage but you can purchase more).  PIP will cover your expenses regardless if you are at fault or not.

If you are caught driving without insurance you can face potential civil or criminal penalties such as losing your driving privileges, being charged with a misdemeanor offense. I know being able to afford insurance can be a problem for some families but the consequences of losing your license can be a never ending cycle (that’s another blog for another day).

When you buy insurance consider purchasing bodily injury protection in the event you are found at fault in a car accident. Bodily injury protection, protects you in the event another driver or passenger is injured. Your insurance company will negotiate with the other driver and/or their attorney to resolve the matter.

Another wise investment is having uninsured/under insured motorist coverage (UM/UI). The unfortunate reality of living in Florida is that a lot of drivers are riding around with just PIP or no insurance at all.  This creates a problem because if you are the victim of their negligent driving you are left without any way to get compensated for your injuries.

While it is possibly you can sue the negligent driver personally, it is often a fruitless endeavor because he or she may not have any assets to go after. In order to avoid that situation it is best to have UM/UI coverage so that you can be compensated for your injuries.

If you are the victim of someone else’s negligence and were injured in a car accident give me a call at 954-982-2124 email me at

I’d like to help you if I can.

Houson R. Lafrance